Want to write for us? The Literary Purveyor is looking for freelancers to help produce content that is meaningful and impactful to our readers. We are accepting pitches covering a variety of topics, including faith, culture, lifestyle, identity, wellness, fashion, home decor, and politics presented as fiction, nonfiction, poetry, photo essay, and short film . We welcome ideas for submissions in all mediums, including audio, illustration, data and visualization.
General tips for submitting an effective pitch
- All work must be original. If your submission is accepted, you are selling First Serial Rights, meaning you are selling The Literary Purveyor the right to publish your story, article or poem for the first time. After the work is published, all rights revert back to you.
- Our goal is to offer readers a robust range of creative expression and thoughts on newsworthy events or issues from people outside The Literary Purveyor.
- A successful pitch will include a few clear sentences on the story you hope to tell, (if applicable) a general idea of the sources you’ll include and the access you have to them, and information on why your pitch is unique — how is this angle different from what’s already out there and relevant to The Literary Purveyor’s audience?
- The Literary Purveyor will publish pieces up to 1500 words. Payment is $.20 per word; poetry is $10 per line (with a maximum payment of $300); illustration is $50 per image (with a $300 maximum per comic or photo essay); photographs accompanying article $30; Film payscale as follows: 1-5 minutes, $50; 6-10 minutes $100; 11-20 minutes, $200; 21-30 minutes, $300, for first serial rights.
- The Literary Purveyor is a lean team. Please provide a maximum of 90 days for submission review.